[Capdist-auditions] Saratoga Springs' 2018 Dr. King Challenge: Call for Submissions

Lezlie Dana dr.kingchallenge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 16:13:25 EDT 2017

*"The questions is not if we will be extremists, but what kind of
extremists we will be.  Will we be extremists for hate or love?"*

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Last year's Dr. King Challenge charged-up Saratoga Springs and launched an
amazing weekend of community gathering, sharing, and celebrating ... and
2018's event is shaping up to be stronger, bolder and even more provocative
- intellectually and artistically!

*The Dr. King Challenge* --  an energizing evening of powerful
micro-performances in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King -- opens *MLK
Saratoga*'s annual 4-day Community Celebration ... which means we need *YOU*,
the artists and performers of the Capital District region!! Spoken word,
slam poetry, rap, song, dance -  we are looking for a variety of short
pieces (*5 min. max*) that express the critical, "in-our-face" reality
that * Climate
Change / Climate Justice is THE Human Rights Issue of our Time**.*  In the
words of Hip Hop Caucus's Rev. Lennox Yearwood, *“Racial Justice and
Climate Justice is the same thing."*

>> We are crafting a fluid & inclusive event with clear, intentional
messaging.  To that end, we welcome all submissions for consideration!
Please include your name(s), contact email & cell number, title & author of
work, and summary of the piece’s content/message by *November 30th* to:
Dr.KingChallenge at gmail.com

*EVENT INFO*

2018 Dr. King Challenge:  *Friday, January 12th, 2018*, in Saratoga
Springs, NY (venue TBD).

Programming Co-Chairs:  Garland Nelson & Lezlie Dana

Website:  www.mlksaratoga.org

FB:  MartinLuther King, Jr. Project of Saratoga Springs
<https://www.facebook.com/MLK.Saratoga/>

Contact:  Lezlie Dana 518-852-3859

**"... It is mostly poor people of color in the U.S. and around the globe
who are feeling the impact from climate change, through increases in
heat-related illnesses and deaths, rising energy costs, and of course
natural disasters ..."*

*"The biggest target of climate change and pollution is communities of
color. Polluters have been able to locate their facilities in our
communities by promising jobs that never come to fruition and by lying
about the deadly health impacts of their pollution.”*

*Reverend Lennox Yearwood,  HipHop Caucus <http://hiphopcaucus.org/>*

*More Exploration:*

Music Video:  Trouble in the Water <https://youtu.be/qDUY3eXv-UY> -
(Common, Malik Yusef, Kumasi ft Aaron Fresh, Choklate, Laci Kay)

Music Video:  Stand Up Stand N Rock #NoDAPDL <https://youtu.be/Onyk7guvHK8>
  (Taboo)

Tears from Heaven:  Dr. King Would Want Climate Justice
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-lennox-yearwood/tears-from-heaven-dr-king_b_183183.html>
  (Rev, Lennox Yearwood, Huffington Post; 2009)

Mobilizing for Climate Justice with Reverend Yearwod
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj1ltTKmKDWAhUI64MKHeirAEsQtwIIMzAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DsabW5PgUoY4&usg=AFQjCNEcOBtZgYv295xwcr_bAiZ7uQ-o5g>
 (57:29 min)

The Hip Hop Caucus is giving voice to the environment this election
<http://projectearth.us/the-hip-hop-caucus-is-giving-voice-to-the-environment-t-1796423042>
 (Project Earth; 11/16)