[Capdist-auditions] Set Designer All My Sons

Shauna Kanter, VOICETheatre skantervt at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 12:46:12 EST 2018

Voice Theatre is seekinga Set Designer for All My Sons byArthur Miller

Opening: July 12, 2018Byrdcliffe Theater: Woodstock, NY
Stage becomes available: June 4thRehearsals begin: June 8thProduction week begins: July 6thSalary: commensurate with experienceDirector: Shauna Kanter
Designers will collaborate with our production & design team
Since 1988 Voice Theatre has performed in the UK, Germany,France, the Middle East, NYC and toured nationally. We recently renovated the historic 100-seat ByrdcliffeTheater that now serves as the company home. The 2018 season consists of Arthur Miller’s AllMy Sons, The 5th Annual Spring Reading Series, free high schoolworkshops and The Summer Youth Workshop. We are planning a world tour for 2019to include Berlin, NYC and Ulster and Dutchess Counties. Visit www.voicetheatre.org for more info.

Please contact Shauna Kanter: Shauna at voicetheatre.org with a letterof interest, resume, and some design examples. Working designers anddesign students are welcome to apply. Voice Theatre is an equal opportunityemployer. No phone calls please.

Synopsis

All My Sons takes place in “August ofour time” in the suburban backyard of Joe and Kate Keller. Their two sons,Chris and Larry have both gone to war. Chris returned. Larry has been missingin action for three years. Only Kate believes that Larry is still alive. Chrishas invited Larry’s fiancée Ann Deever, to come for a visit.  Chris andAnn have been cultivating a relationship and Chris proposes to Ann.

Beforethe play begins, there was a scandal between Ann’s father, Steve Deever and JoeKeller. Joe and Steve were partners in a company that made airplane engines forfighter jets. Engines with defective parts were shipped out. Twenty-one AirForce pilots died as a result. A court case followed and Steve Deever, Ann’sfather was found guilty and went to prison while Joe Keller was exonerated.

Ann’sbrother, George Deever has become a lawyer and visits his father, Steve, who isstill in prison. George now wants the truth; who was responsible for shippingthe defective engines; his father, Steve Deever or Joe Keller.

Georgeis adamant that Ann and Chris should not marry.  Ann refuses to give up Chris. It becomes clear that JoeKeller put profit above safety as well as letting Steve Deever take the blamefor shipping the defective parts.

Joeconfesses. Ann demands that Chris and her marry. Kate refuses. Ann produces aletter that Larry wrote to Ann on the day he died. In the letter Larry tellsAnn that he is going to crash his plane because he knows his father wasresponsible for the twenty-one deaths, putting profit above the pilots lives.Finally, Joe agrees to accept his responsibility and go to jail. Joe then goesinto the house and shoots himself.

Shauna Kanter
Artistic Director, Voice Theatre
(office) 845 679 0154 (cell) 917 494 6273
http://www.voicetheatre.orgFacebook.com/Voicetheatre    Skype: shaunakanterGiving voice to extraordinary theatre