[Capdist-auditions] Happy Birthday Wanda June AUDITION TOMORROW!

William Kempe willkempesplayers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:58:57 EST 2018

We at Will Kempe's Players are looking for two child actors (1 male 1
female/10-16) to fill two roles in our first production of the 2018 season,
Happy Birthday Wanda June, by Kurt Vonnegut.

In his first published play, Kurt Vonnegut finds a powerful vehicle for his
tragicomical imagination. When the great hunter Harold Ryan--missing and
presumed dead--returns from South America after eight years, his wife is
aghast and his son is enchanted. Happy Birthday Wanda June is a play about
expectations vs. reality, ideas of masculinity, and what it means to be a
hero.

**This production does have mature language, and descriptions of sexual
situations, none of which are exhibited by the minor cast members.***

Available roles:

Wanda June- (female, 10 years old) The play’s title character, ten year old
Wanda June, is dead, hit by an ice cream truck on her birthday, and is now
in heaven. With her bubbly attitude and wisdom beyond her years, she isn't
upset about being dead one bit.

The actor playing Wanda June must read young, but an older actor may be
considered. We may also consider casting an understudy for this role.

Paul Ryan- (male, 13 years old) The son of Penelope and Harold Ryan. Paul
was only four years old when his his father disappeared. He idolizes the
idea of his father, but is devastated by who his father reveals himself to
be.

We NEED more candidates for Paul!!! Even if you think you're outside of the
age range, please contact us with headshots. Paul has a wide range of
emotional depth that may require an actor a bit older than the stated in
the description. Those considered will be asked to return for callbacks to
read with Penelope and Harold.

*Auditions will be held at the Washington Ave location of the Albany County
Public Library,161 Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12210 on Saturday, March 3rd,
2018 between 1:00pm and 3:00pm in the auditorium. *

WKP is a touring company and performances are; one week in May 11-13th at
the Arts Center of the Capital Region
265 River St, Troy, and a second week in June at the Albany Barn theater 56
2nd St, Albany.

*NO FEE!*

Please contact us at willkempesplayers at gmail.com “Happy Birthday Wanda June
Auditions” in the subject line, to schedule an appointment. Auditions will
consist of reading provided sides from the play, short monologues
encouraged but not mandatory. All auditioners must be accompanied by a
parent or guardian.

Thank you!

Michael Lake

Will Kempe's Players Co-founder

Happy Birthday Wanda June Co-director

willkempesplayers at gmail.com

Will Kempe’s Players Cooperative is a new company based out of Troy, NY
with the intention of putting on theatrical works not only by Shakespeare,
but also his contemporaries in productions that are both integral and
idiomatic to the Elizabethan era. We also intend to produce new works
relevant to our experiences in the current times and begin a narrative of
regenerative creativity in a world we feel could benefit from it. “...and
we’ll strive to please you every day.”
www.willkempesplayers.com