[Capdist-auditions] HARVARD STUDENT FILM - ACTORS NEEDED!

James Blanchfield jblanchfield at college.harvard.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:54:39 EST 2019

To the wonderful actors of the New York Capital District,

My name is James Blanchfield. I am a student at Harvard University majoring in film production, and I am planning on filming a script I wrote for a required class project in my hometown of Schenectady, NY. The film has an estimated total runtime of about 10 minutes, so I am hoping to shoot over the first weekend of my spring break (March 16th-17th) with potential pickup shoots during the following week or weekend. Below are the project details:

Plot Summary: A young girl, whose father is running for State Senate, learns about the difference between a public and a private persona through campaign events and interactions with her friends.

Roles:

1) Emma Bennett (aged between 7 and 11) - Emma is the protagonist of the story. She doesn’t have very many lines, but is in every scene. Emma is a shy elementary schooler who is forced to campaign with her father while also dealing with dysfunction at home. For the entire Bennett family, I am looking for Caucasian actors. I’m not sure how many child actors/parents of child actors are on this list, so I encourage anyone who knows of child actors who may be interested to forward them this email.

2) Cory Bennett (aged between 30 and 50) - Cory is Emma’s father, a slick politician with a lot of charisma. He brings Emma to campaign events in order to score points with the public, but doesn’t think about how this might affect her. In the end, Cory is not a terrible father, he’s just clueless as to what a child actually needs to hear.

3) Shannon Bennett (aged between 30 and 50) - Shannon is Emma’s mother. She only appears in 2 scenes but is shown to be a potential alcoholic who doesn’t know how to properly talk with her daughter either.

4) Benny (aged between 7 and 11) - Benny is Emma’s best friend. He provides a respite from Emma’s homelife when he invites her on a playdate. For both Benny and his mother Claudia, I am looking for Latino/Hispanic or African American actors.

5) Claudia (aged between 26-40) - Claudia is Benny’s mother. She is respectful of Emma in a way that no other adults are in the script.

6) Angelica (aged between 18 and 30) - Angelica is Emma’s babysitter. She is only in one scene, but shows how Cory does not have the time to drop his daughter off on a playdate.

Since I am a student with a very limited budget, I cannot afford to pay any talent for their time. However, I am able to provide lunch and sometimes dinner, depending on how the shooting schedule goes. Due to my pay restrictions, I am primarily looking for non-union actors.

Please email me at jblanchfield at college.harvard.edu <mailto:jblanchfield at college.harvard.edu> if you are interested in any of the roles or have any questions about production. I may request a video audition, or I will try and schedule an in-person audition, depending on the situation. Once you email me, I will send you the full script to take a look at.

I really appreciate anyone who is willing to volunteer their time to make this project. Both the central topic and the city of Schenectady are very close to my heart, and I hope you are interested in making my vision a reality.

Thank you,
James Blanchfield