[Capdist-auditions] Pittsfield Shakespeare in the Park Auditions for A Midsummer Night's Dream

Maizy Broderick Scarpa maizy at nyu.edu
Sun Apr 25 16:30:25 EDT 2021

Auditions for “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” – 2021

Pittsfield Shakespeare in the Park produces free outdoor productions in
downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts each summer for audiences of all ages.
The company is seeking around 8 strong non-Equity actors to play multiple
roles each in its 2021 production of *A Midsummer Night’s Dream*, directed
by artistic director Enrico Spada. We are aiming to build a diverse cast
reflective of the Pittsfield community, and encourage BIPOC actors and
actors of all gender identities to audition for all roles. Prior experience
performing Shakespeare is not required. (Note: this year, we are only
considering actors age 16 or older for this production.)
*Audition Dates*

By online video submission only. Audition submission deadline is Friday,
May 7.

*Please let us know if we can assist with any accessibility accommodations
or questions to facilitate the casting process by emailing *
*enrico at pittsfieldshakespeare.org* <enrico at pittsfieldshakespeare.org>* or
calling 413-551-9585.*

*Callback Dates:*Potential virtual callbacks will be requested after May 7.
Sides will be provided. Callback submission deadline TBA following the
initial submission period.

*Rehearsal Location & Dates:*Rehearsals will be held Monday–Thursday
evenings and Saturday and Sunday afternoons (Fridays off) starting July 11.

TBA in downtown Pittsfield
(Possibility of some initial virtual rehearsals)

*Performance Location & Dates*Performances run Thursday, Friday, Saturday,
and Sunday evenings at 8pm from August 19 through September 5 (total of 12
performances).

First Street Common – Performance Pavilion
100 First Street
Pittsfield, MA

*All dates and locations subject to change with notice.*

*Pay:*Actors will receive a small honorarium for their participation. We
are working to determine the final amount (in the range of a few hundred
dollars) as we continue fundraising for the production. If you have
questions or concerns, please contact Enrico Spada (
enrico at pittsfieldshakespeare.org).

*Commitment to COVID Safety*The health and safety of our artists, staff,
and audience members are our first priority. You can find our current COVID
Safety Plan here. <https://www.pittsfieldshakespeare.org/covid-safety-plan>

*About Pittsfield Shakespeare in the Park*Pittsfield Shakespeare in the
Park is committed to keeping the thrill of theatre alive with the artists
and audience members who live in the Berkshires by presenting free, outdoor
Shakespeare bringing together audience members, actors, designers, and
technicians to our community. Founded by Berkshires-based theatre artist
and educator, PSP was launched in the summer of 2014, Pittsfield
Shakespeare in the Park presents fully-produced performances of
Shakespeare’s plays under the evening sky for free to the public. Thousands
of people have enjoyed its productions of *A Midsummer Night’s Dream*
 (2014), *Romeo and Juliet* (2015), *The Tempest* (2016), *Twelfth
Night* (2017),
and *Much Ado About Nothing* (2019). For photos of past shows visit
http://www.pittsfieldshakespeare.org/photos
*Materials to Prepare:*

Please prepare two short contrasting Shakespeare monologues, no more than 3
minutes total (including both speeches). You may perform a speech from any
play (including *Midsummer*). Pick text that excites you, from characters
of any gender or age.

Please submit the following material by no later than May 7:

   - a headshot or recent photo
   - an acting/performance resume, if you have one
   - a link to your audition video online (YouTube or Vimeo or Dropbox,
   etc. No large attachments, please)
   - your weekly availability for rehearsals

Submissions should be emailed to auditions at pittsfieldshakespeare.org with
your name in the subject line. Make sure that your link is in shareable
format that can be viewed by anyone with the link (such as an unlisted
YouTube video).
*About the Show and Roles*

*O*ne of William Shakespeare’s most enduring, *A Midsummer Night’s Dream* is
a fast-paced comedy of love and magical mixups.

Note—all roles can be played by actors of any gender, ethnicity, or race.
Actors will be cast in multiple roles (for example, the actor playing
Hermia may also play Titania and Starveling).

*The Fairies:**Oberon* — the king of the fairies, determined to get his way
but with a fiendish sense of humor
*Titania* — the queen of the fairies, just as determined, with a protective
streak
*Puck* — Oberon’s main minion, a trickster whose mistakes may not always be
unintentional
*Fairies* — supporters of Titania

*The Lovers:**Hermia — *in love with Lysander, rebelling against her father
*Lysander* — in love with Hermia, trying to be suave, runs away with her to
find new happiness
*Demetrius — *also in love with Hermia, strong-willed, follows the pair
into the woods to win Hermia back
*Helena — *in love with Demetrius, hopeful, follows everyone into the woods
in order to find happiness

*The Mechanicals:**Nick Bottom — *the most outgoing and eager performer in
a troupe of workers-turned-actors
*Peter Quince* — the leader of the acting troupe and director of the
play-within-the-play
*Francis Flute, Robin Starveling, Tom Snout, Snug* — amateur actors in the
troupe who love their work regardless of their skill level

*The Grecians:**Theseus — *the Duke of Athens, magnanimous but a stickler
for the law
*Hippolyta* — an Amazonian warrior, willing to hold men accountable
*Egeus* — Hermia’s overbearing and unbending parent
*Philostrate* — master of revels

--

Maizy Broderick Scarpa

maizyscarpa.com