[Capdist-auditions] Deadline for Submissions 10/22 ***SLOC Auditions for Songs for a New World

Schenectady Light Opera Info info at sloctheater.org
Thu Oct 21 13:10:06 EDT 2021

*Schenectady Light Opera Company Presents Auditions for:*

[image: SFANW 200x250 (1).jpg]

*Music & Lyrics by Jason Robert Brown*

*Director: *Rose Biggerstaff

*Music Director: *Dan Galliher

*Producer: *John Meglino

*Choreographers: *Emily Fuller & Mani McCalmon

*Audition Dates:*

●     Auditions are being accepted by online video submission only

●     Video submission deadline is *Friday, October 22nd*.

●     Performers must be 18 or older by November 8

●     In-person call backs (by appointment only) on *Thursday, October 28th* at
7 pm

●     Call back invitations will be made via phone on Tuesday, October 26th

*Callback Audition Location:*

Schenectady Light Opera Company Education Building

418 Liberty Street, Schenectady, NY 12305

*Free parking is available in the city-owned lot across the street*

*Performance Dates:*

January 21-30, 2022 (Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays at 8pm, Sundays at 2pm)

SLOC Mainstage: 427 Franklin Street, Schenectady, NY 12305

*About the Show:*

It's about one moment. It's about hitting the wall and having to make a
choice... or take a stand... or turn around and go back. These are the
stories and characters of today, the Songs for a New World. The first
musical from Tony Award winner Jason Robert Brown (*Parade*, *Bridges of
Madison County*), this moving collection of powerful songs examines life,
love and the choices that we make.

*Characters:*

*You may audition for any role*

*Woman 1: *Classic Mezzo (Feature Songs- “I’m Not Afraid of Anything”,
“Christmas Lullaby”, “I’d Give It All For You”)

*Woman 2:* Belty Mezzo (Feature Songs- “Just One Step”, “Stars and the
Moon”, “Surabaya Santa”, “The Flagmaker, 1775”)

*Man 1: *High Tenor (Feature Songs- “On the Deck of a Spanish Sailing Ship,
1492”, “The Steam Train”, “King of the World”, “Flying Home”)

*Man 2:* Baritone (Feature Songs- “She Cries”, “The World was Dancing”,
“I’d Give it All For You”)

*Ensemble: *We will be casting 2-4 background dancers that may also be used
as understudies.

**understudies are not guaranteed a performance**

*What to Prepare:*

For this show we are casting 4 vocalists and 2-4 dancers. Auditioners,
including, but not limited to Dancers may be cast as understudies to the
vocalists. Please specify all roles you’d like to be considered for on your
audition sheet.

Vocalist Auditions:

   - Begin your video by announcing your name, where you live, phone
   number, email address, the title of what you are singing, and which role
   you are auditioning for.
   - Record 16-32 bars of a Broadway show tune in the style of the show.
   - Share video on a private YouTube link sent to sfanw at sloctheater.org,
   with your name in the subject line by the deadline date
   - Vocal recordings must be sung with recorded or live accompaniment. No
   a capella singing will be allowed. If you need assistance finding
   accompaniment tracks, please reach out to Music Director Dan Galliher at
   gallih28 at gmail.com.

Dancer Auditions:

   - Begin your video by announcing your name, where you live, phone
   number, email address, and which role you are auditioning for.
   - Showcase any style of dance for 30-60 seconds. Something fun and
   upbeat is preferred.
   - Share video on a private YouTube link sent to sfanw at sloctheater.org,
   with your name in the subject line by the deadline date.

**Vocal and dance auditions may be submitted as one video**

   - Please submit the following material with your email no later than
   October 22nd:
   - a completed audition form (attached)
   - a headshot or recent photo
   - an acting/performance resume (a written paragraph summing up your
   theatrical experience is acceptable if you do not have a resume)
   - a link to your audition video online (shareable but private YouTube
   link)a copy of your COVID vaccine card; if you have it at this point.
   PLEASE NOTE: All actors will need to be fully vaccinated by the time we
   begin rehearsals in November.

*Rehearsals:*

   - Rehearsals will be held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings, and
   on Sunday afternoons. This is subject to change based on cast/crew
   availability.●     Readthrough will take place on Monday, November 8th
   - Rehearsals will begin Monday, November 15th
   - Attendance is *mandatory* for Tech Week and all performances.

*Commitment to COVID Safety:*

The health and safety of our artists, staff, and audience members are our
first priority. We will be following all safety guidelines at this time and
ask that you wear a mask, keep socially distant whenever possible and
follow other guidelines per the CDC & NYS DOH.

**All actors will need to be fully vaccinated by the time rehearsal
begins.*  *

Schenectady Light Opera Company pledges to continue to advocate for, and
are aiming to build a diverse cast reflective of the Schenectady community.
Any and all ethnicities, BIPOC actors and actors of all gender identities
are encouraged to audition for all roles.

If you have any questions, please contact sfanw at sloctheater.org.