[Capdist-auditions] Musical Theater Writing/Songwriting Classes - Tuition Based Program (Scholarships Available!)

Kit Goldstein Grant goldstek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:55:57 EST 2022

Greetings, Capital District theater peoples!

I'm a former Schenectadian, now living and doing theater in NYC (and
writing a podcast musical for NPR!), and I've got a few new virtual
classes starting
up in January which may be of interest to any writers/people interested in
theater/songwriting in the group, starting with a *FREE class *on Musical
Theatre Writing Basics!
Next up will be a Musical Writing Workshop, which is for anyone at any
stage of writing a musical, Music Theory for Songwriters (no previous
songwriting experience necessary), and an exciting new class for more
experienced musicians, Genre Studies for Songwriters!
We know times are still tough for people, and have need-based scholarships
available for all classes.
Full info and registration at www.totallyirrelevantproductions.com.

Hope you are all having a happy new year!

Kit

*Musical Theater Writing Basics - FREE CLASS!*
Teacher:  Kit Goldstein Grant
Date/Time:  Wednesday, 1/19, 7 – 9 pm ET
Cost:  FREE!
Location:  Virtually via Zoom

Did you ever wonder how a musical is put together?  Come explore the
conventions of writing for musical theater in this free class!  No musical
or writing experience necessary!

*Musical Writing Workshop  - Section II*
*Our popular Musical Writing Workshop is sold out, so we are adding a
second section!*
Ages: Adults
Teacher: Kit Goldstein Grant
Dates/Times:  8 Sessions.  Sundays  1/23 -  3/20 (NO CLASS 2/20), 10 –
12:30 pm EST
Cost: $350 ($100 for additional writer on the same project)
**Full and Partial Scholarships are Available. Email
totallyirrelevantproductions at gmail.com to inquire.**

Location:  Virtually via Zoom
Registration:  Space is VERY limited for this workshop, so sign up ASAP!
Recommended Materials:  The Musical Theatre Writer’s Survival Guide by
David Spencer (
https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Theatre-Writers-Survival-Guide/dp/0325007861)

This workshop will explore the integration of the elements that make up a
musical.  Students will be able to bring in projects they are currently
developing for group discussion and guidance.  Librettists, lyricists and
composers with projects in all stages of development are welcome!

*Music Theory for Songwriters*
Ages: Adult
Teacher: Kit Goldstein Grant
Dates/Times:  8 Sessions.  Wednesdays, 1/26 – 3/16, 7 – 8:30 pm ET
Cost:  $275 (Full and Partial Scholarships are Available).
Location:  Virtually via Zoom
Required Materials:  Access to a piano or keyboard.

Do you have ideas for songs, but lack the tools to get the song out of your
head and onto the page?  Are you already writing songs, but feel lost when
other writers discuss the circle of fifths?  This course will be a quick
overview of some of the most fundamental aspects of music theory necessary
to writing your own melody and chords, including notation basics, key
signatures, modes, and more.  Assignments will be given at each session
which will help you build your skills and put your new knowledge into
practice!  No prior knowledge necessary.

*NEW CLASS!*
*Genre Studies for Songwriters*
*Genre Studies for Songwriters*
Ages: Adult
Teacher: Kit Goldstein Grant & Guest Speakers (TBA)
Dates/Times:  10 Sessions.  Saturdays, 1/22 – 4/2 (NO CLASS 2/19), 1:30 –
3:30 pm ET
Cost:  $375 (Limited Full and Partial Scholarships are Available).
Location:  Virtually via Zoom
REGISTRATION DEADLINE:  January 15, 2022

Prerequisites:   Composers should be able to read music and have a basic
understanding of music theory.  Ability to plunk notes and chords on a
piano or guitar and/or ability to use music notation software is highly
recommended.  If you have questions about these requirements, please email
totallyirrelevantproductions at gmail.com.

This class will explore the mechanics of songwriting in four different
genres, which will be selected by a survey of student interests.  We will
study key defining aspects of each genre, and then create our own songs
reflecting these traits.  This class will be facilitated by
composer/lyricist Kit Goldstein Grant, and will feature guest speakers for
specific genres.

*MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION FOR ALL CLASSES IS
AT:  www.totallyirrelevantproductions.com
<http://www.totallyirrelevantproductions.com/> *

--
Kit Goldstein Grant
Composer, Lyricist, Librettist, Teaching Artist
goldstek at gmail.com
www.kitgoldstein.com
New Play Exchange
<https://newplayexchange.org/users/1829/kit-goldstein-grant>