[Capdist-auditions] ACT Playwright's Showcase needs a few more actors

Kantor, Peter L pkantor at albany.edu
Mon Jul 8 18:47:57 EDT 2024

Hi all.

Summer is upon us, so casting things that haven’t been planned waaay in advance is the usual challenge, which means …

We need a few more actors for Albany Civic Theater’s Playwrights Showcase.

Performance is a single reading on July 21st at 3pm with a just few rehearsals so we can get comfortable with the script.
No props, no memorization, no blocking (well, maybe a little), comfy chairs (okay, folding metal ones) with music stands in front of them to rest the scripts on. Need to be free the 20th and 21st. We can negotiate the rest.

  *   We need one person to play LeShawn, a black teenager (young adult or someone feeling really youthful just fine for the role).
  *   We could use one or two extras to pick up some smaller roles.

Contact Info:
Peter L. Kantor
(cell) 518-334-3690
pkantor at albany.edu<mailto:pkantor at albany.edu>
Email or text both fine.

Synopsis:

FACING JERUSALEM
It’s an old story. Inner city minorities trying to escape any way they can, only to be sucked back in. Ken has made it out, or so he thinks.  But, one soft spring evening, on a stroll with his wife in their peaceful suburb, he is shot by LeShawn, an inner city tough, who also thought he had escaped until a promising athletic career was suddenly halted by an injury. Ken ends up bleeding on the sidewalk, left to wonder, “Why me?” LeShawn ends up in the state penitentiary with a lengthy sentence. Partially paralyzed and severely depressed, Ken might as well be in prison, and his need to confront LeShawn grows. Ken and LeShawn ultimately meet at the prison and together move forward towards forgiveness and healing. FACING JERUSALEM is the story of two Black men trying to survive and forge a friendship from their shared pain.

Thanks,
—
Peter L. Kantor
Instructional Technologies Unit