[Capdist-auditions] Auditions for WELL, a comedy by Lisa Kron

mstep518 at nycap.rr.com mstep518 at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jun 3 19:31:25 EDT 2024

	Schenectady Civic Players will be holding open auditions for

	WELL

	A COMEDY BY LISA KRON

	Directed by Matthew G. Moross

	AUDITIONS:

	Tuesday, June 25 & Thursday, June 27

	Sign-ups begin at 7:15 pm, auditions begin at 7:30 pm

	LOCATION:

	Schenectady Civic Players is located at 12 S. Church St, Schenectady,
NY, 12305.

	PERFORMANCE DATES:

	September 20 - 22 & 25 - 29, 2024

	Friday / Saturday at 8:00 pm, Sunday at 2:30 pm, Wednesday/Thursday
at 7:30 pm

	How to Prepare:
 Readings will be from the script. You will be asked to fill out a
contact form and declare your rehearsal availability, so bring your
calendar.

	SYNOPSIS:

	WELL is a funny and touching comedy from playwright Lisa Kron who
gave us the Tony-award winning musical FUN HOME. "This play is not
about my mother and me," begins the character of Lisa. But of course,
it is. It’s about mothers and daughters, mind over body, social
activism and theatre itself. Lisa, the onstage playwright, attempts a
memory play about her force-of-nature mother, Ann, who though
constantly ill manages to heal a changing community. Kron asks the
provocative question: "Do we create our own illness?" The answers are
much more complicated than they bargained for as the play spins
dangerously out of control into riotously funny and unexpected
territory. "This glorious and funny new play opens doors of insight
and emotion that no other play in New York is opening. I fell in love
with WELL." -- Ben Brantley, The New York Times.

	AVAILABLE ROLES:

	 The Schenectady Civic Players is committed to cultivating a diverse
and inclusive community: on our stage, through our creative and
technical teams, and in our audiences. Below are brief descriptions of
the characters as they are depicted in the script. Actors of all ages,
genders, races, and/or ethnic backgrounds are welcome to audition for
any role that they are interested in portraying.

	LISA KRON - 20’s – 40’s, Narrator of the story, Jewish, New
York performance artist who is writing a play that is definitely NOT
about her mother and herself.

	ANN KRON - 50’s – 70’s, Lisa's mother, Jewish Midwestern
housewife and community organizer; lethargic and in pain, yet
surprisingly vibrant. Warm and funny.

	COMPANY OF ACTORS (BELOW): As the “intended play” unravels and
their “rehearsed” scenes are interrupted, we see that these
“real people” have to grapple with the unexpected events onstage.
As the play continues, we see their standard actor show-must-go-on
ethic erode as they (like the audience) start to find Ann a more
compelling source of information, entertainment and warm human
connection. The company of actors are challenged with playing multiple
characters and are key to helping to shape the many layers of this
story as it unfolds before the audience. Those auditioning to be a
member of the company should be very comfortable moving at a quick
pace.

	ACTOR A: JOY/DOTTIE/THEMSELVES - plays multiple characters in
Lisa’s play: Joy, Lisa’s roommate at the allergy hospital; Dottie,
one of Ann’s friends and coworkers; and as themselves as an actor
who is deeply moved by Ann’s kindness; depicted in the script as a
White, female-identifying actor.

	ACTOR B: LORI JONES/KAY/MRS. PRICE/CYNTHIA/THEMSELVES – plays
multiple characters in Lisa’s play: Lori Jones, a school girl bully;
Kay, a middle-aged woman in an allergy hospital who wants her sister
to understand her illness; Cynthia, Lisa's neighbor; and themselves as
an actor in the play; depicted as a Black, female-identifying actor in
the script.

	ACTOR C: JIM RICHARDSON/NURSE 2/LITTLE OSCAR/BIG OSCAR/THEMSELVES -
plays multiple characters in Lisa’s play: Little Oscar, one of
Lisa’s school friends; Big Oscar, Oscar’s father; Jim Richardson,
a neighbor working with Ann to integrate the neighborhood; and as
themselves as an actor; depicted as a Black, male-identifying actor in
the script.

	ACTOR D: HOWARD NORRIS/HEAD NURSE/THEMSELVES – plays multiple
characters in Lisa’s play: Howard Norris, a neighbor working with
Ann to integrate the neighborhood; the Head Nurse of the allergy
hospital; and themselves as an actor; depicted as a White,
male-identifying actor in the script.

	Crew Positions:
 There are always opportunities to be involved backstage at The
Playhouse. We are looking for those with interest and/or experience
with stage management, costumes, properties, lighting, sound and
painting.

	Rehearsals:
 Rehearsals will be held on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays and
Thursdays, (times to be determined) beginning the week of July 1.

	***Actors are only called to rehearsals in which their role will
participate. Additional weekend rehearsal times will be added as
opening approaches. Those auditioning must be available for a majority
of the rehearsals and must declare rehearsal conflicts before being
cast.

	Please email the director with questions: mmoross at gmail.com

	Schenectady Civic Players promotes inclusive casting, and encourages
individuals, regardless of gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity,
or disability, to participate in the audition process.

	Thank you,

	Schenectady Civic Players

	Playhouse: 12 S Church St, Schenectady, NY 12305

	Phone: (518) 382-2081

	For more information about the theater, please visit our website at
www.civicplayers.org [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.civicplayers.org