[Capdist-announce] Casting Announced for Bridge Street Theatre’s 2024 “Spring Classics” Line-Up

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 13:17:56 EST 2024

Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre, one of the most exciting and adventurous
small theater companies in the Hudson Valley region, is thrilled to
announce that they have completed casting for both productions in their
2024 “Spring Classics” Mainstage Season – twelve magnificently talented
actors in a pair of towering dramatic masterworks, one by Tennessee
Williams and one by Anton Chekhov.

“This Spring is something of an anomaly for us,” says John Sowle, BST’s
Artistic and Managing Director. “Our theatre is perhaps most renowned for
its work with new, untried, and neglected plays. But during the past couple
seasons, we’ve had great success taking fresh looks at some of the
foundational works of dramatic literature. Perhaps the most popular
production we’ve presented in the decade of our theatre’s existence was
Eugene O’Neill’s ‘Long Day’s Journey Into Night’, which received a 2022
Berkshire Theatre Critics Association ‘Berkie’ Award for Best Production of
a Play. Besides, including a title with some name recognition in each of
our seasons definitely helps attract audiences. So – this Spring, we’ve
decided to program two!”

Currently slated for presentation at BST In April and May are:

*THE GLASS MENAGERIE by Tennessee Williams April 4 – 13, 2024. Directed by
Steven Patterson *One of just a handful of undisputed American classics,
Tennessee Williams’ poetically autobiographical memory play premiered in
1944 and catapulted its young author from obscurity into fame (and
notoriety). We’re bringing back our critically-acclaimed, COVID-curtailed
2023 production of this moving remembrance of family ties, lost dreams, and
shattered illusions for all those who weren’t able to see it the first time
around as well those who are anxious to experience it again. Featured in
the revival cast are Leigh Strimbeck (Amanda Wingfield), Brett Mack (Tom
Wingfield), Taylor Congdon (Laura Wingfield), and Russell Sperberg (Jim
O’Connor).

*UNCLE VANYA by Anton Chekhov (in a new adaptation by Conor McPherson) May
9 – 19, 2024. Directed by John Sowle*
During the heat of the summer, a retired university professor and his
restless, alluring, and much younger new wife return to a small estate in
the Russian countryside. Their disruptive presence causes polite facades to
crumble and long repressed feelings to emerge with devastating consequences
for everyone involved. Irish playwright Conor McPherson provides a vibrant,
earthy, and surprisingly comedic new translation of this most intimate and
heartbreaking of Chekhov’s dramatic works. Featured in the magnificent
ensemble cast are Eileen Schuyler (Nana), Richard Neil (Astrov), Steven
Patterson (Vanya), Eamon Martin (Telegin), Abby Burris (Sonya), Mike Durkin
(Serebryakov), Sarah Jayne Rothkopf (Yelena), and Renee Hewitt (Mariya).

Advance tickets for both plays are now available for purchase. Just visit
bridgest.org and click on the appropriate links. Both “The Glass Menagerie”
and “Uncle Vanya”  will be presented in the theatre’s intimate 84-seat
“Priscilla” Mainstage, located at 44 West Bridge Street in the Village of
Catskill.

If you’re a fan of plays that genuinely make you think and feel,
performances that lodge in your mind and heart, and productions that you’ll
be discussing for weeks, months, even years after the curtain falls, you
won’t want to miss any of the extraordinary experiences that await you at
this five-time winner of “Best Theatre/Performance Space” at the annual
Best of Greene County Awards. We can’t wait to share our take on these
classic works with you!

*Events at Bridge Street Theatre are supported in part by the New York
State Council on the Arts with the support of the Governor of New York and
the New York State Legislature and by Public Funds from the Greene County
Legislature. Bridge Street Theatre’s entire 2024 Season is sponsored by a
generous donation from Mary E. Barrett.*

*Artwork for THE GLASS MENAGERIE by Dina Bursztyn*

*Artwork for UNCLE VANYA by Eamon Martin*