[Capdist-announce] Cow. Slob. Pig.

Michael McDermott irishmike518 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 15:19:31 EST 2008

Cow. Slob. Pig.

How many insults can you hear before you have to stand up and defend the woman you love? Tom faces just that question when he falls for Helen, a bright, funny, sexy young woman who happens to be plus sized-and then some. Forced to explain his new relationship to his shallow (although shockingly funny) friends, finally he comes to terms with his own preconceptions of the importance of conventional good looks. In the age of no carbs, nip tucks and extreme makeovers, will Tom destroy his chance for true happiness?  Neil LaBute's sharply drawn play, Fat Pig,  not only critiques our slavish adherence to Hollywood ideals of beauty but boldly questions our own ability to change what we dislike about ourselves. Please join our spirited play reading of Fat Pig, at The Shuster Series of Play Readings, Home Made Theater, 19 Roosevelt Drive, Saratoga Springs, NY (in the Saratoga Spa State Park), 3:00 PM, January 20, 2008.  Admission is free.

The play reading is directed by Michael McDermott, and features sharply drawn characters who are played by Brendan McDermott, Dolores Todaro, Eric Shovah and Heather D'Arcy.  This brave play talks openly about some very difficult topics that people do not openly discuss-- but think every day.  It features a brave and heart-wrenching performance by Dolores Todaro as the title character.  Brendan McDermott plays Tom, who must make a decision on happiness and commitment, or "fitting in".  Eric Shovah and Heather D'Arcy portray Tom's cruel and crass (and bitingly humorous) work colleagues.  Please join us for this thought provoking and incisive look at how we view those who are....different... from us.

Did I mention that admission is free?  The runs approximately 80 minutes long, with-out an intermission.

About the Author
Neil LaBute is a critically acclaimed writer-director for both the stage and screen. His works include the plays The Distance from Here and bash: latterday plays and the films In the Company of Men, Your Friends and Neighbors, Nurse Betty, and Possession, as well as the play and film adaptation of The Shape of Things.  The words comedy and tender love don't exactly send Neil LaBute's name popping into your head. His work is more typically associated with gritty, downbeat stories. Yet, Fat Pig, his latest play is a laugh-studded theatrical gem and its love affair is genuine and engaging.

HMT is in residence at the Spa Little Theater in the Saratoga Spa State Park. The theater is located close to The Gideon Putnam Hotel and Conference Center.
For more information, call Michael McDermott, (518) 669-5414