[Capdist-announce] Sand Lake Center for the Arts - "Sittin' on a Million" documentary film - Feb. 13

Sand Lake Center for the Arts info at slca-ctp.org
Wed Feb 11 11:24:11 EST 2009

Sittin? on a Million

     The documentary, Sittin' on a Million will be shown on Friday,
February13th at 7:30pm at the Sand Lake Center for the Arts.  Annmarie
Lindsey and fellow filmmaker Penny Lane will be joining us along with two of
the actresses from Circle Theatre Players who portrayed this famous madam in
the film.  Tickets are $8 and reservations can be made at 518-674-2007 or
www.slca-ctp.org.  The Sand Lake Center for the Arts is located at 2880 NY
43, one half mile east of the blinking light in Averill Park, NY. The
evening is for mature audiences only.

     Sittin' on a Million is a documentary about the life and legend of Mame
Faye, Troy 's second most known resident, who ran a world famous house of
prostitution in Troy for almost forty years.  It is a movie about what we
choose to remember and what we forget, what we cherish and what we destroy,
and the shared narratives that collectively make up history.  It asks us to
consider the role of memory and imagination in creating history, and reminds
us about all those ordinary, extraordinary people erased from the official
record
     The title of the film comes from Mame Faye herself as she would
approach girls working in the factories in Troy making $20 per week and
offered them five times that. "You're sittin' on a million dollars, honey,"
she would tell them. Join us and learn more about this prosperous business
woman.