[Capdist-announce] REMINDER: MopCo Underground... and the controversy

The Mop & Bucket Co. Publicity PR at MopCo.org
Thu May 20 23:27:37 EDT 2010

       MOPCO UNDERGROUND at Proctors
       432 State St, Schenectady

       Fridays (May & June) at 8 p.m.
       Tickets: $14 Adults / $6 sts & srs
       For reservations call Proctors Box Office: 346-6204 or
       www.proctors.org/places/underground

CONTROVERSY ROCKS IMPROV TROUPE
Is It Really Made Up On The Spot?

SCHENECTADY -- Citing certain anonymous parties who have claimed that the
Mop & Bucket Improv theatre troupe (MopCo) doesn't actually improvise, the
Artistic Director of the company, Michael Burns issued an indignant
challenge today on the steps of Schenectady City Hall.

"We have to improvise; People need to understand, we're not hiding anything
here. That's the reason for the Notary Challenge.  We'll wait OUTSIDE City
Hall for an improv suggestion to be written on paper, sealed in an envelope,
and then notarized."  The indignant improviser went on, "we'll pay for the
notary, AND we'll buy that person and their guest a ticket to that Friday's
show, open the envelope in front of them, God, and the whole audience and
improvise based on that suggestion."  The improviser continued, "of course,
we can't afford to pay for unlimited notarizations, so this is a
first-come-first-serve indignant challenge.  We reserve the right to limit
quantities, and there are no rain checks."  Burns added, "I also want to
stress that there is NO nudity in our show."

City officials could not be reached for comment. One harried municipal
worker didn't seem to know, or care, about the controversy. Speaking on a
guarantee of anonymity, the worker said "first the whole police thing, then
the school system, the snow shoveling on the ice, now this!  Will it ever
end?"  The worker was, of course, referring to recent controversies in
Schenectady civic life.

Will it, indeed?  The improv troupe is a few weeks into an open run on
Friday nights in the new "Underground at Proctors" space at the State Street
landmark.  Tickets are $14 general, $6 for students and seniors, and may be
reserved by calling the Proctors box office.

Would-be challengers are urged to contact Burns by emailing
michaelburns at mopco.org or by going to the troupe's website, www.mopco.org.

     The Mop & Bucket Co. (MopCo)
     UNDERGROUND at Proctors
     432 State St, Schenectady, NY 12305