[Capdist-announce] DOES LOCAL COMMUNITY THEATER REALLY MATTER?

stageboynewyork at aol.com stageboynewyork at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 15:56:52 EDT 2010

Hello,

There has been a lot of talk about politics lately. Many different organizations are trying to persuade us to vote one way or another by planting seeds of fear in our minds.  We are bombarded with Armaggedon scenarios if Senator A is elected and cessation of public funding for this or that is Congresswoman B is elected.

While it is important to vote, the reality remains that so many of us are unemployed, uninsured, overworked, overstressed, or just feel lost because of "IT ALL."

The reality for our not-for-profit theater companies remains, no Albany Arts Grant for 2011, more competition for a smaller pool of funding opportunities, and volunteer artists who are over committed, over stressed, and are searching their memories for the reason they continue to volunteer their precious time, energy, and money to the art.

Yet, even in the face of all the stress and worry, we artists all continue to play.  ....Why?
Is it because we like the new friendships and romances that become available with each new show?
Is it because we simply want to be a part of something special?
Is it because we enjoy the challenge of artistic creation?
Is it because we masochistically anticipate the published review or the anticipation of an awards announcement?
Or, Is it because we live for that one moment, when we have the opportunity to share our creation with and to connect with the group of people who have chosen to turn off the TV, mobile phone, and laptop in order to support us and give us the opportunity to entertain and in some cases educate them?

Whatever the reason is, does any of it really matter if our art is not heard, seen, felt, or experienced by our friends, families, and neighbors?

As Confetti Stage prepares to open its first full length production written by a Capital Region artist, I see the energy, anticipation, and nervousness of everyone who is helping to create it.  I also see the doubt and sense the question, What if no one comes?

Therefore, I am making a plea to all of the artists and supporters of the arts who read this.
I am asking each of you to spread the word and make your committment to support the dedication and hard work of hometown artists like Jenn Dott, Rita Machin, Stephen Henel, and the rest of the cast of Heresy by purchasing your tickets to one of the 3 performances of Marty Egan's hysterical comedy about the traditions and superstitions we all share in Community Theater.

WE NEED TO KNOW THIS MATTERS TO YOU!!
In 2008, Confetti Stage began choosing 1 short play from its Annual Confetti Fest to be expanded into a full length play and produced during the regular season.
Heresy is the first show to take part in this experiment.
Next year, Kevin Marshall's drama, Forebears of Bad News will be featured.  In 2012, Confetti Stage will include Holy Night, by Diane Doring in its regular season.
Is this an endeavor that seems important to you?  If so, we need your help to reach a goal of at least 200 audience members this weekend, in order to ensure that the idea of producing the expanded versions of these short plays continues.

If we can't convince 200 people to come out and support the original works of Capital Region artists, how hard will it be trying to justify spending the time and resources that must be used to not only draft the expanded script but mount a full production (a full production that may be considered for submission to a prestigious international play festival)

I challenge each one of you to take pride in these local artists, to show your support for their creations, and to help Confetti Stage continue to promote our local talents by purchasing a ticket for you and several of your friends now at www.confettistage.com!

Heresy is a brilliant piece of theater and I know that anyone who has ever volunteered their time for a Community Theater production will thoroughly enjoy this show!!

It’s opening night for the cast and crew of Playboy of the Western World at this small Upstate New York Community Theater. Nerves are unsteady as everyone arrives at the theater.  Charlie, in his first leading role, fights the opening night jitters by continuously running his lines.  All seems “normal,” until first time actor, Jack, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service, utters the name of the Scottish Play, thus bringing the “Macbeth curse” down upon the show.  Jack’s disregard for the tradition of “undoing” the curse, only adds to the tension of the evening.  Near blizzard conditions, backstage gossip, an unfulfilled love affair between the leads, a broken furnace, and faulty wiring all threaten to close the show before it ever opens.  In the end, the troupe vows that the show will go on.

Heresy features: Jenn Dott, Stephen Henel, Vivian Hwang, Rita Machin, Ryan McLaughlin, Jeremy Noble, and Ron Pucherelli.  The production is directed by Neilson R. Jones and based on the original directiorial concept of Daniel Kelly.

Heresy runs for 3 performances ONLY:

            Friday,           October 29, 2010               8:00pm
            Saturday,      October 30, 2010                8:00pm

1 matinee performances will be held on:
Sunday,        October 31, 2010                2:00pm

Heresy runs 1 hour & 30 minutes plus a 15 minute intermission.  Tickets are only ONLY ONLY $10 and are available by calling the Confetti Stage Box Office (it's really a mobile phone) at 518-242-8015 and telling Mr. Jeffrey Hocking (Box Office Manager) how many tickets you would like and for which performance.
Or visit our website (which is under as much construction as the intersection of Rte7 & the Northway has been) www.confettistage.com.

Performances will be held at
The Albany Masonic Hall (the experience of this building and its history alone is worth more than the price of your ticket)
67 Corning Place
Albany, NY 12207
(directly behind Albany City Hall & across the street from The Crowne Plaza Hotel)
Free on street parking weeknights after 6:30pm and all day on Saturday and Sunday.  Fee-based public parking garages within 1 block of the Hall. Handicapped Accessible.
One of the oldest elevators in the city and a main staircase that Norma Desmond would envy.

Please come laugh with us.  I sincerely hope we see you there.
-Neil ;-)