[Capdist-announce] MCGUIRE DIRECTS HUBBARD HALL PRODUCTION OF SONDHEIM'S 'MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG' MAY 12-JUNE 4

patalamb at aol.com patalamb at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 11:04:39 EDT 2011

News release follows as text, and is attached as Word doc with cast photo. Photo credit: Jonathan Barber.
Reviewers are invited to the May 13 and 14 performances at 8 p.m., and the May 15 performance at 3 p.m. RSVP to me or call Deb Foster at 518.677.2495.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
EDITORIAL CONTACTS:
Pat Lamb                                 or                     Deb Foster
(518) 692-8150                                                   (518) 677-2495
patalamb at aol.com                                           debfoster at hubbardhall.org

THE THEATRE COMPANY at HUBBARD HALL PRESENTS
STEPHEN SONDHEIM’S ‘MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG MAY 12-JUNE 4

*TCHH Founding Artistic Director Kevin McGuire Returns
To Direct Regional Premiere of Revised Production*

CAMBRIDGE, NY (April 26, 2011)—Kevin McGuire, the Founding Artistic Director of the award-winning Theatre Company at Hubbard Hall (TCHH), returns to the area to direct the upcoming TCHH production of Stephen Sondheim’s groundbreaking musical, Merrily We Roll Along, which will be performed May 12 through June 4.

Merrily We Roll Along, with a book by George Furth and lyrics and music by Sondheim, is based on the 1934 play of the same name by George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart. The story revolves around Franklin Shepard who, having once been a talented composer of Broadway musicals, has now abandoned his friends and his songwriting career to become a producer of Hollywood flicks. The musical begins at the height of his Hollywood fame and moves backwards in time, showing snapshots of the most important moments in Frank's life that shaped the man that he is today.
Merrily, which debuted on Broadway thirty years ago, was revised 11 years later in a production that ultimately played in the West End of London and won Laurence Olivier Awards for Best Musical, Best Actor and Best Actress. The TCHH Merrily marks the regional premiere of this revised production, widely considered the definitive version of the musical.
McGuire will direct a cast that includes Josh Gray as Franklin Shepard, Frankie Kraft as Charley, Megan Ward as Mary, Amy Northup as Gussie and Kara Cornell as Beth. The musical director is Richard Cherry and assistant director is Janet Scurria, with sets and costumes by Karen Koziol.
“I have wanted to work on Merrily We Roll Along for many years,” said McGuire, who directed and starred in celebrated TCHH productions of Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park with George and Sweeney Todd in the company’s early years. “It is a stunning piece of theatre, and for me speaks of my early years growing up as a child who loved the theatre. I am honored to work with this talented cast from the Capital Region and New York City."
There will be 13 performances of Merrily We Roll Along, May 12 (Pay What You Will / Open Rehearsal) at 8 p.m., May 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 28, and June 3 and 4 at 8 p.m.; May 15, 22, and 29 at 3 p.m.; and June 4 at 2 p.m. Tickets are $22 for Hubbard Hall members, $25 for non-members and $15 for students and children. Tickets are available at www.hubbardhall.org or by calling (518) 677-2495.
An Opening Night Dinner, A Spring Community Bread Oven Feast!, will take place Friday, May 13 at 6 p.m. outside the Freight Depot (rain site, inside the Freight Depot). The menu will feature local cheese, fruit and cucumber with smoked salmon appetizers; a main course of grilled marinated chicken breast, fresh herb focaccia, lightly roasted fresh asparagus, roasted new potatoes and local baby green salad; and strawberry rhubarb pie with homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert. Coffee, tea, seltzer and wine are included. Reservations are requested by Tuesday, May 10 at 5 p.m. Visit www.hubbardhall.org or call 518-677-2495 for tickets. The cost: $50.00, including theatre ticket /$30.00, meal only (for season subscribers).
Hubbard Hall is an historic opera house located at 25 E. Main St. in Cambridge, NY. For information, visit www.hubbardhall.org.
# # #

=