[Capdist-announce] The Rejection Project (518) July 9, 10, 11 at The Albany Barn!

The Rejection Project (518) therejectionproject518 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 09:04:21 EDT 2015

What: The Rejection Project (518)
When: Thursday-Saturday July 9, 10, 11 at 8PM
Where: The Albany Barn, 56 Second Street, Albany, NY, 12210
Who: Albany community performers, scripted and directed by Allison
Lerman-Gluck and Alex Hovet, with video design by Alex Hovet
How: Fiscally-sponsored by The Social Justice Center of Albany. This
project is made possible in part through a Community Arts Grant, a program
funded by The Arts Center of the Capital Region through the New York State
Council on the Arts.

The Rejection Project (518) is a new multimedia play made from hundreds of
Albany community stories and voices, all reflecting on their experiences
dealing with rejection and rejecting. Directed by local artists Allison
Lerman-Gluck and Alex Hovet, with video by Alex Hovet, TRP (518) is
performed by a group of Albany community members. Come hear your stories
spoken on stage. Performances are July 9, 10, and 11th at 8PM at the Albany
Barn. Tickets are $8, and can be bought at the door (cash only) or in
advance.

Tickets: http://www.albanybarn.org/product/rejection-project/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1437741443200615/
Instagram:@rejectionproject518
Twitter: @TheRejection518
Email: therejectionproject518 at gmail.com

We asked you, our friends and neighbors of the 518 area, to share your
stories and experiences, thoughts and opinions. We asked you ‘how has
rejection influenced your life?’ ‘How have you been rejected (by people,
communities, society)?’ We asked you to delve a little bit deeper. ‘How
have you rejected (people, ideas, societal norms?)’ You responded with
stories about racism, sexism, protest, heartbreak, love, self-empowerment,
discrimination of disabilities, friendship, family, transphobia,
homophobia, and claiming your identities.

You shared these with us, and we compiled them into a play that we hope is
representative of a diverse and complex community, often excluded from the
traditional theatrical stage.

For those who contributed writing, The Rejection Project (518) will be an
unforgettable opportunity to hear your own thoughts and words, along with
those of your fellow community members, spoken aloud. And for everyone in
the greater Capital District community, it will be a chance to connect with
friends and neighbors and to finally hear the strong, diverse, and
revolutionary voices of the 518.

Performers:

Sami Ahmad
Sean Baldwin
Chante Coppedge
Samantha Cramer
Kym Dorsey
Simone Lavine
Katherine Russak
Maghen Ryan
Sam Wickstrom

*The Rejection Project (518)*
Tickets: From The Albany Barn
<http://www.albanybarn.org/product/rejection-project/>
Email: therejectionproject518 at gmail.com
Twitter: @TheRejection518 <https://twitter.com/TheRejection518>
Instagram: @rejectionproject518 <https://instagram.com/rejectionproject518/>
Facebook: The Rejection Project
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rejection-Project-Albany/1572207129727748>

The Rejection Project (518) is a newly developing, community-based,
multimedia, intergenerational theatre experiment in Albany County. This
project will devise an ensemble-based theatre performance that addresses
the many individual interpretations of REJECTION through a process of
sourcing written responses from a diverse pool of community members of all
races, gender and sexual orientations, ages, and class backgrounds.
Fiscally-sponsored
by The Albany Social Justice Center.