[Capdist-announce] HH Press Rel OTHELLO - Shakespeare in the Park TOUR

Kate Johnson kate at hubbardhall.org
Tue Jun 28 13:42:11 EDT 2016

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:

Kate Johnson                                                  David
Snider

Hubbard Hall                          OR                  Hubbard Hall

kate at hubbardhall.org
david at hubbardhall.org

For Immediate Release

Photos Available

*HUBBARD HALL ANNUAL FREE SHAKESPEARE IN THE PARK FEATURES OTHELLO*

(Cambridge, NY June 28, 2016)  Hubbard Hall’s Annual Free Shakespeare in
the Park returns this summer from July 7–16 with our first-ever production
of *Othello*.  In a country beleaguered by wars and finally at peace, a
soldier and trusted advisor seeks to destroy their leader – because of the
leader’s achievements, his place in society, and the color of his skin.
Join us for this thrilling exploration of envy, jealousy, racial hatred,
and one man’s quest to destroy another.

This fast-paced dramatic journey, directed by Erin Ouellette, will bring
the world of the play to vibrant life in five beautiful settings across the
region. With minimal props and costumes, the focus will be on the words,
the actions, the actors, and the setting.  Each site will inform how we do
what we do, with an emphasis on a fierce, fearless tackling of
Shakespeare’s world and words. With a mix of young local talent and
seasoned professionals, this company will blend Shakespeare’s world with
our own, exploring how love, race, status, and jealousy continue to shape
us – and what can happen when we are poisoned with doubt and envy.

"We're thrilled to produce this timely and timeless classic," says
Executive & Artistic Director David Snider. "In the wake of all the racism
roaring to the surface across our country in recent years, it seemed like
the right moment to produce this extraordinary play. Erin's done wonderful
work with a great cast. It's sure to be a breathtaking evening of
theater."

This summer’s tour schedule is as follows:

*All Performances Begin at 7pm  FREE*

Thursday, July 7          Cambridge Community Garden (Washington & Spring
St.), Cambridge, NY

Friday, July 8              Cambridge Community Garden, Cambridge, NY

Saturday, July 9          Cambridge Community Garden, Cambridge, NY

Sunday, July 10          Cambridge Community Garden, Cambridge, NY

Wednesday, July 13    Salem Art Works, Salem, NY

Thursday, July 14        The Georgi, Shusan, NY

Friday, July 15            Wood Park, Hoosick Falls, NY

Saturday, July 16        The Greenwich Commons, Greenwich, NY

The cast includes:  Ulisses Gonsalves as Othello, Catherine Seeley as
Desdemona, Cheryl Gushee as Brabantio, Scott Renzoni as Iago, Kyra
Fitzgerald as Emilia, Katherine Danforth as Cassio, Jack Boggan as
Roderigo, Sheila O'Shea as The Duke of Venice, Rob Forgett as Lodovico,
Adam Shulman as Montano, and Delaney Hill as Bianca. The Ensemble includes
Sarah Burke, Sebastian Durfee, Leah Jaffe, Sarah Joseph, Abby Maher,
Christiana Roewer, and Audrey Roosevelt.

All performances are outdoors, FREE, and open to all. Rain locations are
available on our website. Performances start at 7pm.  Donations in support
of the tour are greatly appreciated! Please note, *Othello* does contain
some adult themes and violence.

Hubbard Hall Center for the Arts and Education, located in a renovated 1878
rural opera house and adjacent former freight yard complex, is a community
arts and education center dedicated to bringing the best of the arts to the
region with year-round theater, music and dance performances and classes
and workshops for all ages and skill levels. Hubbard Hall is located at 25
East Main Street in Cambridge, NY.  For more information on this and all
Hubbard Hall programs, or to purchase tickets, register for classes, make a
donation and/or become a Hubbard Hall Pass carrier please visit
www.hubbardhall.org or call 518-677-2495.

--
Kate Johnson
Production & Communications Manager
kate at hubbardhall.org
Hubbard Hall Projects, Inc.  25 E. Main St.  Cambridge, NY 12816

kate at hubbardhall.org
Hubbard Hall Projects, Inc.  25 E. Main St.  Cambridge, NY 12816