[Capdist-announce] MY WITCH @ Bridge Street Theatre in Catskill December 3-12

Steven Patterson kaliyuga.steven at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 13:32:22 EST 2021

*Fat Knight Theatre’s “My Witch” Comes to Catskill’s Bridge Street Theatre *
After stops at Snowlion Rep in Freeport, ME and Hubbard Hall in Cambridge,
NY, John Ahlin’s “My Witch: The Margaret Hamilton Stories” makes the third
and final stop on its rolling world premiere tour at Bridge Street Theatre
in Catskill December 3-12, 2021.

This delightful, fun, and hauntingl solo show, directed by Al D’Andrea and
starring the playwright’s wife Jean Tafler (for whom he wrote it), invites
audiences on a mysterious Halloween weekend visit to Margaret Hamilton’s
secluded home on Cape Island in Maine. Just how did a gentle kindergarten
teacher from Cleveland wind up scaring the living daylights out of every
last one of us as “The Wicked Witch of the West”? And just how much heart,
courage, and brains did it take her to become one of America’s most beloved
character actresses? If you love “The Wizard of Oz”, if you love all things
Hollywood, and especially if you love the theater, this show is a valentine
to all three, but it’s also a loving tribute to the real woman behind the
cackle.

“We opened our abbreviated 2021 Season this year with Fred Barton’s
hilarious one-man revue “Miss Gulch Returns!”, a satiric musical take on
the iconic screen villainess that Margaret Hamilton embodied onscreen in
1939,” says John Sowle, Artistic Director of Bridge Street Theatre. “That
show just received a Berkshire Theatre Critics Association Award for
‘Outstanding Solo Performance’. So it seems only fitting that we should now
be bringing our season to a close by taking a much closer look at the
actual woman behind the role that gave us all nightmares as kids.”

“My Witch” has been rapturously received by sold-out crowds on the first
two stops of its rolling world premiere tour. Jeffrey Borak of the
Berkshire Eagle called it “smart, sly, wickedly clever, richly subtle,
robustly theatrical, sublimely warm, and richly satisfying.” J. Peter
Bergman of Berkshire Bright focus said that, while it’s rare for him to
fall in love with a one-woman play, “Jean Tafler strikes just the right
note from the moment of her entrance.” And the Hamptons Theatre Review
raved "My Witch is everything great theater can be and then even more.
Thrilling, entertaining and interesting ... A must see if you love the
movie ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ but it's also a must see because Jean Tafler
gives a brilliant, strong, Tony Award-worthy caliber performance
effortlessly displaying her talent, skills and gifts as an actor." A video
teaser for the show can be found on YouTube by following this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-cLLLDjSM

For the safety of both audiences and artists, Bridge Street Theatre adheres
to union and state guidelines for indoor entertainment venues. Seating
capacity is limited to allow for social distancing. All attendees will need
to provide proof of vaccination or a recent negative test for COVID at the
door prior to entry. In addition, masks will need to be worn at all times
while in the theatre building. For more detailed information on the
theatre’s safety precautions and attendance requirements, visit
bridgest.org/covid-safety-rules-at-bst/.

“My Witch” will be presented for seven performances only, beginning on the
weekend of Friday December 3 and then playing Thursdays – Sundays until
December 12, on Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage, located at
44 West Bridge Street in the Village of Catskill. Thursday, Friday, and
Saturday performances are at 7:30pm, with Sunday matinees at 2:00pm.
Admission at the door is $25, Students and Children ages 18 and under are
only $10. Discounted advance tickets (highly recommended) are available for
$22/$10 (+ a small service fee) at mywitch.brownpapertickets.com
<https://gulch21.brownpapertickets.com>. In addition, the matinee
performance on Sunday December 5 will be “Pay What You Will”.

For further information, check the theatre’s website at
bridgestreettheatre.org <https://bridgest.org>. Live theatre is back! Don’t
miss the chance to experience this delightful “visit” with an iconic screen
legend in Bridge Street Theatre’s intimate 84-seat house.

*Performance Calendar: *Bridge Street Theatre presents
A Rolling World Premiere!
Fat Knight Theatre’s Production of

*MY WITCH: THE MARGARET HAMILTON STORIES *Written by John Ahlin
Directed by Al D’Andrea
and starring Jean Tafler as Margaret Hamilton
December 3-12, 2021
Bridge Street Theatre’s “Priscilla” Mainstage
44 West Bridge Street, Catskill

Friday December 3 @ 7:30pm (Opening Night)
Saturday December 4 @ 7:30pm
Sunday December 5 @ 2:00pm (“Pay What You Will” performance)
Thursday December 9 @ 7:30pm
Friday December 10 @ 7:30pm
Saturday December 11 @ 7:30pm
Sunday December 12 @ 2:00pm (Closing performance)

*Tickets: *Advance tickets available at
https://mywitch.brownpapertickets.com <https://ldj21.brownpapertickets.com>
General Admission $22, $10 for Students and Children ages 18 and under
Tickets can also be purchased at the door prior to each performance (on a
space available basis) for $25, $10 for Students ages 18 & under.

*Bridge Street Theatre is supported in part by the New York State Council
on the Arts with the support of the Governor of New York and the New York
State Legislature and by Public Funds from the Greene County Legislature
through the Cultural Fund administered in Greene County by the Greene
County Council on the Arts (dba CREATE). *

*Further Information:*
To contact Bridge Street Theatre directly, email contact at bridgest.org or
call their offices at 518-943-3894.
For more information on Bridge Street Theatre visit BridgeSt.org.
Interviewers and reviewers contact john at bridgest.org or 518-478-5982 (cell)