[Capdist-auditions] Sad News for Local Community Theaters

LWAndruski at aol.com LWAndruski at aol.com
Sun Jul 23 18:53:18 EDT 2006

It is with deep regret  that I announce the death of Peter Tyger (Jeff
Cherry).  Although, the  purpose of this listserv is to keep the community abreast
of arts-related work  opportunities, it seems most appropriate to let the
community know of this  talented man's passing.  More information from his good
friend, Mike  McDermott can be found below.  Please forward to all the theater
folks you  know who may have known Peter.
Laura W.  Andruski
Moderator
===============================
"I wish I could see  the angel's faces
When they hear your sweet voice  sing”
Peter Tyger (Jeff  Cherry) died in his sleep this morning near Syracuse New
York.
Peter has had a very  difficult last several months with his health, but had
recently found renewed  energy and life in a new home of his own in Syracuse,
New  York.  Peter had recently moved to Syracuse, from the Albany area to
better collaborate with his  friend Brendan McDermott on a play  they were working
on together.  Peter had just visited Albany on Friday and  Saturday to visit
with friends and move some of his belongings to his new  home.  He was in
transit back to Syracuse with his friend John, when he  passed away while sleeping
in the car.  The cause of death is not certain,  but his health has been
declining as much as his energy has been rising in the  past few weeks.
Peter's last evening  in this world was spent doing what he loved best,
enjoying the art of  theater.  He joined me at Park Playhouse to watch their
current  production of Beauty and the Beast.  He found delight in all things related
 to theater, but most especially in watching those he knew, whether as former
 cast members whom he had directed, former students or colleagues.  I smile
when I think that his last night was spent enjoying the work of Paula, and
Adam, and Jessica -- as he has similarly enjoyed the work of so many of us, and
each of you.  He simply adored watching all of you perform your magic,
whether onstage, back stage or on the stage of friendship and  life.
He has had some  difficult times in the past several years.  His health has
made it  difficult for him to manage a regular day to day life. He was unable
to  work, unable to keep up with friendships, unable to do many things we take
for  granted.  He had recently spent a great deal of time in self  reflection.
 He wanted to let people know he had made many mistakes in the  past...had
taken friendships for granted...had perhaps not treated people as he  should
have.  I only mention this because he was sincerely focused on  becoming the
better person he was before he became ill, and he adamantly wanted  people to know
he was dedicating himself to doing the right thing, becoming a  better
person, making amends.  It was important to him that people knew  that.
His pain has finally  ended, he is now in peace.
Peter's service will  be Thursday, July 27 in Saratoga, New  York at:

Tunison Funeral  Home
105 Lake  Ave
Saratoga  Springs
New  York 12866
Phone: (518)  584-0440

The time is not  determined yet, please call the funeral home after Tuesday
or I will send an  updated email.  Brendan  McDermott will be arranging a
memorial service and celebration  of Peter's life and work in mid August at a place
TBD.  If you would like  to participate in that service as a performer,
accompanist or reader,  please email me.  I will be sending out an update to all
who want to  participate and attend when the details are set.
Please forward this  email to anyone I may have missed.
Today we lost a good  friend, a wonderful brother, a beautiful son, a
creative genius, a kind man and  a valiant soldier against unbearable pain.  I have
cried more today, yet  remarkably, laughed more today than any day I can
remember. My sons and I  started telling Peter stories and the smiles didn't stop
.Grieve yes, but then  please focus on a life we can celebrate, focus on the
beautiful words and  songs that he created, the wonderful art he gave us, the
smile of a warm and  loving soul.  Remember a joke, a story or an anecdote that
comes to  mind.  Share that with someone else.  Keep his memory  alive.
Michael  McDermott
(518) 669  5414