[Capdist-auditions] They're Playing Our Song Auditions

Sally Burke jburke6 at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jan 2 12:26:39 EST 2008

January 2, 2008
For Immediate Release
They're Playing Our Song Auditions
Tuesday, January 29th, and Wednesday, January 30th from 7:00-9:00 p.m.
Senior Center, Clifton Park

Clifton Park:  Not So Common Players announces auditions for They're
Playing Our Song on Tuesday, January 29th and Wednesday, January 30th
from 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. at the Senior Center on the Common off Vischer
Ferry Road.  Performance dates are:  April 25, 26, 27, and May 2, 3, 4,
at the Shen Little Theater.

Directed by Jennifer S. Depew with musical direction by Sherri Strichman
and Choreography by Donna Hatch,  They're Playing Our Song is a musical
with a book by Neil Simon, lyrics by Carole Bayer Sager, and music by
Marvin Hamlisch.  In a story based on the real-life relationship of
Hamlisch and Sager, a wisecracking composer finds a new, offbeat
lyricist, but initially the match is not one made in heaven.  The two
undergo a series of trials and overcome a number of hurdles before
finding true love by the final curtain.

They're Playing Our Song is essentially a two-character show.  Vernon
and Sonia are the sole characters on stage; each character has a
three-person Greek chorus acting as their inner voices, and there are no
big production numbers.

Bring sheet music and be prepared to sing 16 bars of a song from a
Broadway musical.  The song doesn't have to be from They're Playing Our
Song however a song in the 70's style would match the show more than
something from High School Musical - for example.  An accompanist will
be provided.  No a capella singing will be accepted.  Resume and photo
desirable, but not required.

Character Breakdown:
Vernon Gersch (Baritone) wisecracking top music composer, mid 30's,
aloof and focused
Sonia Walsk (Mezzo-soprano) offbeat lyricist, late 20's, disorganized
and distracted

The Voices of Vernon (3-4 men) and The Voices of Sonia (3-4 women) who
sing with the lead characters in four out of the nine songs.  They also
'show up' at various moments within the play.  There are a couple off
stage speaking roles that will be cast from among The Voices.

Additional Information:  Richard Lenehan(Producer) 466-6252;
rlenehan at nycap.rr.com; Pat O'Donnell 371-6681 and Jennifer Depew
(Director) jensiss at logical.net .
-30-