[Capdist-auditions] ACT's "Our Town" audtions tonight and tommorow, Feb 15-16, 7pm

Charles Treadwell chas911sc at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 12:03:24 EST 2010

Auditions for Albany Civic Theater's final show of the 2009-2010 season, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder, directed by Carol King, will be held Monday, February 15 and Tuesday, February 16, 2010 at Albany Civic Theater, 235 Second Avenue , Albany , NY 12209 . 462-1297, info at albanycivictheater.org

Our Town runs May 7-23, 2010.

Auditions begin at 7pm both evenings; there is no need to make an appointment. There is no need to prepare a monologue; auditions will consist of cold readings from the script. We are looking for 5 women, able to play ages 12-60 (approximate), and 13 men, able to play ages 12-69 (approximate).

Our Town explores the lives of people living in a small, quintessentially American town. Covering a period from 1901 to approximately 1917, the play is set in the New England community of Grover's Corners and is divided into three aspects of the human experience: Daily Life, Love and Marriage, and Death and Loss - each aspect reminding playgoers to notice and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Our Town was the recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Literature in 1938.

Available roles:

Please note: There may be some doubling.  Anyone who can sing will be welcomed for the choir scene.  For the most part, the ages are an approximation.

Wally Webb (12) Little brother of Emily. He dies after his appendix ruptures.

Si Crowell (12-15) Joe Crowell's younger brother. He takes over his brother's paper route.

Joe Crowell (15) Newspaper boy who became an outstanding student in high school and later at MIT but died in World War I.

George Gibbs (18-24) Upright son of Frank and Julia Gibbs. He is a star baseball player who has always loved Emily Webb. When she dies, he is broken-hearted.

Sam Craig (20-39) Emily Webb's cousin. He went west to pursue his career but returns for Emily's funeral.

Simon Stimson (20-49) He is the choirmaster at the Congregationalist church and the town alcoholic. He commits suicide.

Charles Webb (30-59) Editor of the Grover's Corners Sentinel and father of two children, Emily and Wally.

Frank Gibbs (30-59) Hard-working town physician who goes out to tend to his patients at all hours. At the beginning of the play, he arrives home after just delivering the twins of a woman in Polish town, a section of Grover's Corners.

Howie Newsome (30-69) Milkman who makes deliveries from a cart drawn by his old horse Bessie.

Joe Stoddard (30-69) Undertaker in charge of Emily Webb's funeral.

Bill Warren (30-69) Constable who keeps law and order and once rescued a man from a snowdrift.

Professor Willard (30-69) Expert on the geological and anthropological background of Grover's Corners. In a boring speech, he helps the stage manager describe the town and its history to the audience.

The Stage Manager (40-69) He sets up the stage, introduces the play, describes the setting, provides background information during the play, and sometimes steps into scenes to talk with the characters. In some ways, he resembles the chorus of an ancient Greek play or the omniscient narrator of a novel.

Rebecca Gibbs (12) Little sister of George.

Emily Webb (18-24) Intelligent, pretty, engaging daughter of Charles and Myrtle Webb. She marries a next-door neighbor, George Gibbs, but dies nine years into her marriage while giving birth to her second child.

Myrtle Webb (30-49) Devoted wife of Charles Webb.

Julia Gibbs (30-49) Devoted wife of Dr. Gibbs. She dreams of visiting Paris with her husband but never gets the chance.

Louella Soames (30-60) Choir member and friend of Myrtle Webb and Julia Gibbs. She criticizes Simon Stimson for his drinking.