[Capdist-auditions] RPI Young Actors Guild - Still time to sign up for a great summer of theater classes and performances! (Fee Required)

D'Amico, Mary Allison damicm at rpi.edu
Tue Jun 5 15:59:08 EDT 2012

YAG Summer 2012 Programs - Sign up today while there's still time!
1-Week Summer 2012 Vacation One-Week Acting Programs : -
For additional information and registration forms please go to summer.rpi.edu or http://yag.rpi.edu
Session 1: June 25-29, 2012 - Day Program - Ages 6-13
Session 2: August 13-17, 2012 - Day Program - Ages 6-13
We are happy to announce that we will be holding two different one-week acting programs for ages 6-13 from 9:00am to 3:00pm (drop-off 8:30-9:00am and pick-up 3:00-4:00pm). We will do improv, acting games, music and other creative activities. This workshop is a skill building only workshop. The program will be held at the RPI Playhouse on 15th Street on the RPI campus.
5-Week Summer 2012 Center Stage Program:  -
July 9-August 10, 2012 - 5 week day  Program - Ages 6-18
Our Center Stage Summer Program runs for five weeks from 9:00am to 3:00pm, Monday - Friday, with productions taking place the Friday and Saturday evenings the last two weekends of the program. There is before and after care available for an additional fee from 7:30am - 5:30pm.
Come join us for another awesome summer of theatre! Our shows will be age appropriate!
Our 5 week program will include:
For All Students:
Acting and Theatre: Our Acting Workshop gives participants an understanding of the skills required to stage and perform in successful productions. The curriculum is designed to develop the skills and knowledge necessary for the many faceted discipline of theatre arts including pantomime, speech and diction, and improvisation.
Dance and Movement: Our students study different styles of dance. Each class will begin with a ballet warm-up and then the instructor takes the participants through a series of movement, combination, and leaps. This class includes a variety of appropriate musical genres. Each class then prepares a dance performance to be staged for our end of program "Informance."
Music Theory and Voice: Our music class concentrates on two main skills. The first is composition and theory which many students have not had the opportunity to study, and the other is voice. Our voice classes concentrate on appropriate posture, breathing and of course the joy of singing. Each class aims to produce some music stylings, to be performed at our "Informance."
In addition the following for students ages 6 - 14:
Cartooning --Our students will learn some of the basic techniques of cartooning with our resident cartoon artist Randy Rumpf.
Circus and Movement: In this class our students will combine circus skills such as juggling and magic with movement; to choreograph their own circus piece.

And For Students ages 15 - up:
Audition Prep
This year our five week program will include a one week master's class audition prep for both college and theater auditions. We will cover audition guidelines including the proper preparation of headshots and resumes, appropriate audition attire (for both the vocal audition and the dance call), how to mark audition cuts in music, and behavior inside of and outside of the audition room. We will also have the students attend a dance call modeled after calls both in NYC and at regional auditions such as UPTA and NETC. On the final day, we will have the students put all that they have learned to the test in a realistic audition setting. This class will be taught Meg Orlowski, and Chris Russel;  two or our professional staff as they prepare to head off on the National Tour for "Fiddler on the Roof".  This program will be for our students ages 15 - up. This class will culminate in a mock audition in front of the professional summer staff.
Film
"Film making is a complicated process that involves the collaboration of many creative minds. To mention just a few, there are writers, actors, cinematographers, location scouts, scenery artists, costume designers, sound designers, lighting designers, and editors. All of these minds must work together as a team in order to realize the vision of the films director and producers. In this class the students will assume the various roles of a film crew. In the first week they will be presented with a creative idea, or theme (as if by an executive producer, commissioning a script from a team of writers) with which they will each have to write a brief film treatment, or description of a short film. Later, the class will decide on one treatment that will be made into a short five to ten minute film. From this point they will be split into various creative roles. There will be cinematographers, writers and actors, while the teacher will oversee the project as the film's director, to make sure that all of the pieces come together coherently and in an enjoyable fashion for all.
In addition to this project we will analyze the structure of a short film or television episode in order to demonstrate examples of how to construct a relatively complicated narrative in a shorter period of time"