[Capdist-auditions] Capdist Auditions Mailing List and "Bounce" messages

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Fri May 10 13:35:29 EDT 2013

Late yesterday evening a major Internet Service Provider (*cough* AOL
*cough*) decided that the server hosting the Capdist-Auditions Mailing
List was sending SPAM.  This lead them to reject all messages coming
from our server, nearly 100% of which were from this mailing list.

296 people, more than 10% of our subscribers, were effected.

When this happens, those rejected messages are said to have "bounced"
and are returned back to the sender, just as though it were a letter
sent to a wrong address through the Postal Service.

The mailing list software we use to run and manage the list keeps track
of these bounces, and after 5 bounces within one week, your subscription
is automatically disabled.  Given that we have been sending 5 postings
per day lately, it didn't take long for those 296 subscribers to all get
shut off.

At some point this morning, AOL changed their minds and stopped
rejecting our messages.  I have since re-enabled all of the subscribers
whose accounts were disabled.

My apologies for any inconvenience.

--
Joel Lord
Web Administrator, Alpha Psi Omega Grand Cast