[Capdist-auditions] NSCP Reminder of CHESS Auditions May 19 & 20- 6:30 sign in at NSCP Storefront

Sally Burke burke.sally4 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 11:51:13 EDT 2014

				Chess Audition announcement info: May 19 & 20, NSCP Storefront (between Toys'R Us and Joann Fabrics) in Clifton Park; 6:30 pm sign in.

Director: Frank Meredith
Music Director: Adrienne Sherman
Producer: Sally Burke

We are looking for strong vocalists and actors throughout the cast. We are using the Broadway script with a few minor adjustments to strengthen the story line. (This differs a lot from the concert video.)
Florence will  be more of a metaphorical White Queen than a pawn. The closing number will be a reprise of Someone Else's Story.
The optional Arbiter's Song will be used to open the second act if we can cast someone (male or female) to deliver a show stopping performance.
Four rehearsals per week, Sept. through mid-Oct., then more TBA up to production weeks:

Oct 10th (tech week) 17th through 26th (performances.)

Casting needs:
Florence: Strong belt voice (to E). Mid-thirties. Born in Hungary, brought up in America. She is clever, touching, vivacious, volatile. Freddie's chess second.

Freddie: Rock tenor (to high C). 30's-40's. American chess champion; a cross between Bobby Fischer and John McEnroe. Arrogant and temperamental, but a genius. We need to see his artistry along with his danger and obsessiveness.

Anatoly: Baritone (to G#). 30's-40's. Russian champion. Unexpectedly charming. Doesn't seem a romantic hero at first. Intelligent, feeling, passionate.

Molokov: Bass (down to F#). 40's-60's. Anatoly's chess second. KGB type. Intellectually formidable. An actor who sings well.

Svetlana: late 20's-early 40's. Strong belt voice. Anatoly's wife. Domestic, homey, wholesome. Dramatic contrast to Florence; not a cosmopolitan woman.

Walter: Bass-baritone (down to G#). 30's-50's. A marketing agent. Seemingly respectable, substantial, trustworthy. An actor who sings well.

Arbiter: Male or female (to high A). 30's-40's. Smooth, but with a quick temper.

Gregor Vassy: Baritone (A-d). 60's-70's. Florence's "father." Speaks only Hungarian (5 lines) and sings solo in Hungarian.

M & F, various ages: Reporters, merchandisers, Hungarians, Russians, Americans, etc.

Leads prepare to sing these songs in their entirety, unless indicated otherwise:
Florence: Someone Else's Story
Nobody's Side (1 verse & chorus)
You and I
I Know Him So Well
Freddie: One Night in Bangkok
Pity the Child
Anatoly: Anthem
You and I
Svetlana: You and I
I Know Him So Well
Arbiter (male or female): Arbiter's Song
Gregor Vassy: Lullaby

Secondary roles and ensemble prepare 16 bars of a song of your choice.
An accompanist will be provided. Arrive early if you wish to work briefly with the accompanist.
Readings will be from sides provided at the audition.
Questions:  Frank Meredith- frankoflamancha at gmail.com; Adrienne Sherman - shermanam at yahoo.com; Sally Burke - jburke6 at nycap.rr.com.