[Capdist-auditions] Fill a Complex Role/Help the Schenectady High School Arts Program!

The Raven Himself Movie theravenhimselfmovie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 22:01:18 EDT 2015

Our names are James Blanchfield, Michael Glantzis, and Ben Ward, and we are
juniors at Schenectady High School. For the advanced diploma program at our
school, we are required to do a creative, self-guided project in order to
raise money for an organization. As huge fans of cinema and with experience
in making short films under our belt, we believed that there was no better
project for us than making a movie, for which we will have a screening to
raise money. We will be raising funds for none other than the Schenectady
Arts Department that has given us and many other students music and theater
education for the 12 years we have been a part of the school system. In
recent years, arts programs have been on the chopping block when it comes
time to decide a budget, and we want to ensure that Schenectady students in
the future have the same opportunities we did.
We have prepped our three primary locations (Proctor's Theater, Lorenzo's
Cafe, and Schenectady City Court) ahead of time, and have a script ready
and equipment available. All the information concerning the film and the
available roles is below.

Title: The Raven Himself
Plot Summary: An up-and-coming stage actor James "Jim" Weaver is cast in
the role of Macduff in a new Broadway version of Shakespeare's "Macbeth".
In the role of Macbeth is a famous Hollywood actor, Edward "Ed" Childers,
who is performing on stage for the first time in his career. Jim is a big
fan of Ed, and Ed sees great promise in Jim, and they become friends, with
Ed taking it upon himself to push Jim's abilities to their limit. However,
Ed's methods for getting into his roles are too severe, and he actually
murders someone in order to fully step into his role of Macbeth. Jim sees
the aftermath of the murder, and he must decide whether the fate of the
show and his friendship with Ed matter more than his morality. The film
cuts between the events taking place in the theater over the course of the
show in the past and the courtroom after Ed has been arrested in the
present.
Shooting Schedule: We would like to start filming on Thursday, August 13th.
Since most scenes are in the theater, we would want to spend 2 full days (8
hours) at the theater, meaning that we would spend 1-2 nights in the
courtroom the following Monday and possibly Tuesday, and 1-2 nights in the
Diner the following two days.

Available Roles:
Role - *Edward Childers*: A leading role with plenty of dialogue. Ed is a
talented but insane actor who believes that he needs to experience the
events that his characters go through in order to truly perfect his "art".
He comes off as rude because he does not believe in thanking people for
praise that he believed he has earned, and he disregards most people who he
does not consider at his level of artistic ability and talent. He befriends
Jim Weaver because he sees something of himself in Jim, and tries to push
Jim to the brink to maximize Jim's potential. This is a complex role that
should prove to be very interesting to play.
Requirements: Ed is at least 10 years older than Jim, so he is between the
ages of 35 and 55. Some Shakespearian sword-fighting and dialogue
experience would be very helpful, but is not required. Would need to be
there for all days of filming.

Role - Stage Manager: This role requires some lines of dialogue, mostly
involved in praising the cast members and making announcements to the cast.
The Stage Manager is a minor role, but very important as they help plant
doubt in Jim's mind.
Requirements: The Stage Manager can be male or female, and can be any age
older than 20. Would only need to be there for 1 day of filming.

Role - Critic: This role only requires 2 lines but is a speaking role
Requirements: Any person, male or female, above the age of 25. Would only
need to be there for less than a day of shooting

Role - Judge: This role has only a few lines of dialogue, but is necessary
to establish the validity of the courtroom scenes.
Requirements: Can be any person, male or female, over the age of 40. Would
only need to be there for 1 day of filming.

Role - Prosecuting/Defending Lawyer: These are 2 roles that have
essentially the same role: To question a witness. Not much dialogue
required.
Requirements: Can be any person, male or female, over the age of 25. Would
only need to be there for 1 day of filming.

Please consider filling any of these valuable roles, and if you see this
email and know someone who would be good for a role and would be
interested, we implore you to forward them this email. You can contact us
at our email (theravenhimselfmovie at gmail.com) if you are interested in the
roles, and we can get you a copy of the script and discuss more about
scheduling and any other questions you may have.

Sincerely,
James Blanchfield
Michael Glantzis
Ben Ward