[Capdist-auditions] Auditions for Chasing Charles

Michael Ciaravella mciaravella at troycivic.org
Tue Jan 23 16:29:16 EST 2018

Troy Civic Theatre is excited to present auditions for its 2018 Season Opener: Chasing Charles, a work by local playwright J.J. Buechner, that will be held at 7:00pm on Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 and 2:00pm, February 3rd, 2018 at the Arts Center of the Capital Region, 265 River Street, Troy NY, 12180.

Chasing Charles is a comedy/drama that examines the life of Charles Elsen, a native of Schenectady, NY, a world class Wig Designer and Makeup Artist and his death in 1985 from spinal meningitis complicated by AIDS. After a career as an opera tenor Charles started his own company, Charles Elsen & Co., with longtime friend Dennis. Charles’ mother Angela with Dennis and Edward, a fellow associate at Charles Elsen & Co., witness the rise of Charles’ career and his hypersexual lifestyle in the pre-AIDS New York City gay culture including his turbulent long term relationship with Brian a young street wise man from the Midwest.

Chasing Charles had its premiere as part the 2014 New Play Festival at The Local Actors Guild of Saratoga. In November of 2015, the Local Actors Guild of Saratoga produced a full two week run of the show. Chasing Charles was chosen for an Archer & Brown playwright award for 2015-2016.

>From the Audiences:
"Chasing Charles is beautifully written and performed."
"So exciting to see an original work being performed with excellent actors, savvy tech and thoughtful direction. Thank you for telling this powerful story"
"I really became emotionally invested in the characters and I know this is one that will stay with me for a while."
"Wow Chasing Charles has left me verklemp! I can't remember when I've experienced something so simultaneously hilarious and heartbreaking. I went home really caring about all of the characters."

Roles:
CHARLES – Makeup & Wig Designer. 30’s, Italian and charming.
DENNIS – Charles’ best friend and business partner.
ANGELA – Charles’ overbearing Italian Mother.
EDWARD – Wig designer.
BRIAN – A hustler who later becomes Charles’ boyfriend. 20’s
CAROL – An Opera soprano – 20’s-30’s
RICHARD – An Opera baritone – 20’s-30’s. Also plays the Male Nurse

Audition Dates: 7:00pm on Wednesday, January 31st, 2018 and 2:00pm, February 3rd, 2018

Audition Location: The Dance Studio at the Arts Center of the Capital Region

Cold readings will be provided for the purposes of auditions.

 Show Dates:
Friday, March 30, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, March 31st, 2018 – 2:00pm and 7:30pm
Friday, April 6, 2018 – 7:30pm
Saturday, April 7, 2018 – 7:30pm
 (*Additional shows may be added based off of early ticket sales.)

Show Location: The Black Box Theater at the Arts Center of the Capital Region

Rehearsals will begin in the beginning of February and will be approximately two hours, three or four times a week. The rehearsal schedule will be provided before the first rehearsal after conflict reconciliation. Any questions may be sent to info at troycivic.org.