[Capdist-auditions] Seeking actors for Schuyler Mansion’s Pinkster event in Albany:

Mavigliano, Michelle (PARKS) Michelle.Mavigliano at parks.ny.gov
Thu Apr 25 19:22:14 EDT 2019

Hello,

Could you please post this amended call for actors for Schuyler Mansion’s Pinkster celebration. I have attached the posting and also included it below.

Thank you,

Michelle Mavigliano

Seeking actors for Schuyler Mansion’s Pinkster event in Albany:
African-American Adult Men and Women, Ages 21-60

Event Date: Saturday, June 8, 2019, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Location: Schuyler Mansion State Historic Site
                 32 Catherine Street, Albany, NY

Compensation: paid appearance fee $150

Casting For: African American Adult men and women, ages 21-60

Our recent post to this artistic community that called for volunteers to portray enslaved Africans was wrong and inappropriate. Proposing that people of color freely give their time to portray enslaved people at the grand house on the hill has been rightfully criticized. We apologize for the insensitivity expressed in this post.

Schuyler Mansion and Fort Crailo State Historic Sites have sought to acknowledge and celebrate Pinkster in recent years. At Pinkster, both free and enslaved people of African descent gathered on their own terms and participated in cultural expressions that were often illegal during the rest of the year. The outlawing of Pinkster in Albany in 1811 represented an attempt to silence voices. These historic sites have sought to remember these individuals, acknowledge their lives, honor them, and share the African cultural traditions that were at the core of Pinkster.

Actors on site for past events have been paid unless they have chosen to waive their fees; actors who are scheduled to perform at Pinkster will be paid. We appreciate the talents that have been shared with us and the public at past Pinkster celebrations and believe there is a story here that still needs to be told.

TO SCHEDULE AN AUDITION, Please contact Michelle Mavigliano at Schuyler Mansion: michelle.mavigliano at parks.ny.gov<mailto:michelle.mavigliano at parks.ny.gov>.