[Capdist-auditions] Casting Submission from The Orchard Project

Lana Russell lana at orchardproject.com
Thu Jun 2 19:35:44 EDT 2022

Hi,
We would like the below information shared/posted as soon as the next
listing goes out. Please let me know if I should share this information in
another form.

** I'm Lana Russell and  I'm reaching out from The Orchard Project
<https://orchardproject.com/>, an organization devoted to developing and
accelerating the new work of artists in theater, television, and more. Every
summer for the past several years, The Orchard Project moves from New York
City to Saratoga Springs for the summer where we run our residency programs
and community events—making space for artists to work and live together and
for the surrounding community to engage with their creative output through
events and more. We are very excited to support the development of some
brand new, incredibly innovative and diverse projects this summer and
looking to cast local actors.

*Dates:*
Rehearsal in the week of July 5th
Public showings in our festival July 8-10th

*Travel:*
Must be able to provide own travel to Saratoga Springs for rehearsal and
public showings. Local actors only.

*Stipend:*
Yes.

*Projects/Roles:*

ONCE UPON A TRA IN PUERTO RICO by Nelson Diaz-Marcano, directed by Rebecca
Aparicio

A coming of age tale that relates the birth of Reggaeton with the
decolonization of a whole generation of Puerto Ricans, celebrating Puerto
Rico’s rich musical traditions while telling a story that explores how a
whole generation decided to stop the assimilation and start the
decolonization of their culture.

   1.

   Miguel: Afro Boricua male, teens
   2.

   Miramar: Light skin Puerto Rican, female,  20s// Desiree: Afro boricua,
   female, teenager
   3.

   Mami: Puerto Rican woman, late 50s-60s, light skin
   4.

   Manny: Nerdy Puerto Rican, Male,  teenager

*Doubling of Desiree and Miramar

**Singing/rapping (or willingness to learn/play) will be needed for most
roles.

THE DOUBLE[S] by Winnie Kemp

One day, Alice shows up at work and is stunned to meet her doppelganger,
Celia, a transfer from the UK who is her more confident, carefree double.
After Celia leapfrogs over Alice for a promotion, Alice is invited to a
mysterious support group of other people whose doubles are ruining their
lives.

Character descriptions:

ALICE - early 30’s, Asian-American,  little neurotic, and very Type A,
self-misdiagnoses her anxiety as lactose intolerance

CELIA - early 30’s, British by way of Hong Kong, Alice's more confident,
glamorous double, played by the same actress as Alice but with a posh
British accent

PALOMA "PM" MOLINA  - late 40's, ageless founder and She-E-O of Truuly, a
goop like wellness company. She leveraged her mediocre pop music career
into a booming business selling overpriced, medically questionable wellness
treatments and products.

DONOVAN - late 20’s, Alice's best friend and work husband, has a multiple
drawers full of expensive face creams but will deny it to the grave,
exploring his bisexuality

ELENA - 40’s, founder of Alter Ego, the support group for people whose
doppelgangers are ruining their lives, former stay at home mom who
definitely sells essential oils in an MLM scheme

DEDE  - 17, future Mae Jemison with the mouth of Richard Pryor, a brilliant
student, who bounces in and out of school because of her health struggles
with Lyme Disease.

JEREMY - late 60’s, South African expat, half grizzly bear, half teddy bear

   1.

   ALICE/ CELIA*
   2.

   DEDE* / WAITER